The first time a couple sees each other on wedding day could happen in two different ways: a private moment they share before the ceremony or as they are walking down the aisle. Not sure which option is right for you? Let the professionals, Rob and Kristen Tesar of Rob + Kristen Photography, explain.
They said it best when they said, “Seeing each other on your wedding day only happens once and it should happen the way you imagined it.”
Why You Should
- If you do a first look you get your jitters out of the way. Wedding day is naturally a nerve wrecking day, so sometimes seeing the person you love at first helps ease the nerves.
- If you are uncomfortable or have anxiety about sharing that intimate moment in front of everyone, it’s probably best to do a private first look.
- It will give you the opportunity to do a lot of the newlywed and bridal party pictures before the ceremony, leaving you more time after the ceremony to enjoy.
Why You Shouldn’t
- If you are getting married in the hot summer, you would be doing your portraits in the afternoon sun, in the worst lightpossible.
- If golden hour pictures are something you want, you are going to have to do portraits later in the day anyways, so might as well wait.
- You want that grand, emotional moment when the bride (or groom!) walks down the aisle and the groom sees her for the first time.
“We get a lot of clients who do not want to do a first look because they have always imagined having that moment at the aisle when the bride comes out for the first time and they see each other,” Rob and Kristen explained. “If that's the moment you've been dreaming of your whole life, I would, absolutely not compromise doing a first look for saving time on photos.”
Consider the options and talk to your fiancé about what you all imagined would happen. Work together on a decision, it isn’t going to be the first decision you all have to talk through during wedding planning and it certainly won’t be the last!
Watch more of our pro tips here:
Love these tips? Subscribe to our “Every Day I’m Bustlin’” podcast by clicking HERE for more weekly planning tips and tricks from our co-founders and vetted vendor guests.
About this week’s guests: Rob + Kristen Photography are a husband and wife team that have been photographing weddings in the Carolinas for seven years. They have photographed more than 250 weddings and been featured on a number of national and local publications.